Veal Liver, Mushroom Sauce, Red Wine and Pancetta
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 slices of Quebec Veal liver, 150 g (1/3 lb) each
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 package of diced cooked pancetta (175 g)
- 227 g (8 oz) Paris mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 small red onion minced
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 1 1/2 containers of demi-glace sauce (300 ml each)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) chopped fresh thyme
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 15% cooking cream
- 10 mL (2 tsp) wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown the pan-cetta and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the wine into the pan and simmer until the liquid has completely evaporated.
- Add demi-glace sauce and thyme. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the cream and mustard. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a soup plate. Flour the slices of veal liver.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the slices of veal liver for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve the veal liver with the sauce.
Photo credit: Pratico-Pratiques