Veal Cubes Braised with Vegetables and Crispy Bacon Crumbs
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 36 minutes
- 675 g (approximately 1 1/2 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 little rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 12 à 15 baby potatoes, cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tbsp) garlic, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) marsala
- 500 ml (2 cups) demi-glace sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Crispy Bacon Crumbs
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) walnuts, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the flour on a plate. Flour the veal cubes and shake to remove excess.
- In a large saucepan, melt the half butter on medium. Brown cubes for 4 to 5 minutes on all sides.
- Transfer the cubes into a baking dish.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, rutabaga and potatoes in the dish.
- In the same saucepan, melt the remaining butter on medium. Cook the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marsala and bring to a boil.
- Add the demi-glace sauce and thyme. Stir. Transfer the preparation in the baking dish. Salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, cook the bacon on medium for 7 to 10 minutes until crispy. Remove the fat and add the panko breadcrumbs and walnuts. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Add the parsley and stir.
- Divide the cubes and vegetables on the plates. Garnish with the crispy bacon crumbs.