Slow Cooked Veal Ragu
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 500 g (1 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) carrots, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) celery, diced
- 28 oz (1 can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves, dry
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 500 g (1 lb) dried pappardelle
- Salt and pepper to season
- Parmesan cheese, parsley and or basil to garnish
- Season veal cubes with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat in large pot. Add cubes and sear all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pot and place on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook down 5 to 6 minutes.
- Return veal cubes to pot. Add in beef cubes, thyme, bay leaves, cinnamon and thyme. Top with crushed tomatoes.
- Let simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours or until cubes are very tender.
- Remove cubes from pot. Let cool and then shred. Add back to sauce and let sauce cook down another 20 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper again if needed.
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to directions. When straining pasta, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Add pasta into sauce. Pour in pasta water and toss pasta for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and or basil/parsley to garnish.
Recipe from Gigi Madanipour.