- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C) or 300°F (150°C).
- Cut the tops off the pumpkins and scoop out the inside of the pumpkins.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over high heat and brown the veal cubes and the onion.
- With the veal cubes still in the pan, deglaze the skillet with the veal stock.
- Bring just to boiling, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove browned bits.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the pumpkins in a drip pan and fill with the main course soup.
- Put the lids on the pumpkins, place in the oven and cook for desired time, either 4 hours at 250°F (120°C) or 2 hours 30 minutes at 300°F (150°C).
Main Course Veal Soup in a Pumpkin
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours at 250°F (120°C) or 2 hours 30 minutes at 300°C (150°C)
- 450 g (1 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 4 small pumpkins
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water and prepared concentrated veal stock or chicken broth
- 750 ml (3 cups) vegetables of your choice (carrots, celery, peppers, etc.) cut into 1/2 in (1 cm) pieces
- Butter, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: the inside (flesh) of the shell (pumpkin), which will cook with the broth, is excellent to eat.f