Souvlaki style veal tenderloin with grilled vegetables and tzatziki
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 veal butt tenderloin Fontaine Family, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) Greek yogourt
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated cucumber + 5 ml (1 tsp salt), set aside
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 portobello mushroom, sliced ½ thickness
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 8 mini peppers
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 4
- 8 asparagus
- Extra virgin olive oil, to coat vegetables
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Place the veal in the bowl and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- For the tzatziki sauce, grate the cucumber into a bowl and add salt. Let it drain for about 30 minutes in a sieve and blot well to extract as much water as possible. In a small bowl, add the garlic to the lemon juice and zest. Add a little salt and let marinate for about 10 minutes. Combine all the ingredients and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Set aside.
- Preheat the BBQ.
- Place the cubes on skewers and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on high heat on each side.
- Place the sliced vegetables in a bowl and drizzle with a few dashes of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables a couple minutes on each side. Or, in a large frying pan with a little oil and butter, sauté the sliced vegetables over high heat for a couple minutes on each side.
Side dishes: in a serving bowl, place the grilled vegetables and veal cubes on cooked rice or quinoa and serve with the tzatziki sauce.
Tips and tricks: the tzatziki sauce and veal cubes can easily be prepared a day in advance.
If you don't want to bbq, you can prepare the veal fillet like a roast by following the same preparation steps and marinating time. Roast it in a preheated oven at 220°C (425°F) for 15 to 20 minutes. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing and place the veal slices in a serving bowl with the grilled vegetables and rice.
Recipe provided by Fontaine Family