Smoked Shredded Veal with Barbecue Sauce
Yield: 750 ml (3 cups)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
- 1 kg (about 2 1/4 lb) Quebec Veal blade roast without bone
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) kosher salt
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) smoked sweet paprika
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) onion powder
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) garlic powder
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cracked black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) honey
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) ketchup
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml (1 tsp) garlic, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Sriracha Asian pepper sauce
- Preheat the smoker as directed by the manufacturer until a temperature of 121°C (250°F) is reached. Add hickory wood to the smoker.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients of the dry marinade.
- Coat the veal blade roast with dry marinade by rubbing the flesh with your hands.
- Place the roast on the hot rack of the smoker.
- Smoke for 6 hours until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 82°C (180°F) on a cooking thermometer inserted in the center of the roast.
- Remove the roast from the smoker’s pan and wrap in foil.
- Put the meat back on the hot rack of the smoker. Smoke for about 2 hours until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 96°C (205°F) on the cooking thermometer.
- Remove the meat from the smoker and let stand for 30 minutes in the foil.
- Shred the meat with a fork.
- In a saucepan, combine the ingredients of the sauce. Heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the frayed veal to the saucepan and stir.
- Serve this frayed veal on nachos, pasta or in tacos.
Photo credit: Pratico-Pratiques