Philly Cheesesteak Veal Wraps
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 4 minutes
- 1 Quebec Veal blade roast of 1 kg (about 2 1/4 lb)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) canola oil
- 500 mL (2 cups) beef broth
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 container 227 g white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 4 medium tortillas
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Season veal blade roast with salt and pepper.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of oil over medium heat. Sear chuck roast for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic to pan. Place onion around the edge of the meat.
- Cover and bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, turning the meat halfway through cooking, until the meat flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven and place roast on a plate. Flake meat with two forks.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in another pan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes, until water has completely evaporated and mushrooms are golden.
- Add bell pepper and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Top tortillas with shredded meat and vegetables. Cover with provolone cheese. Roll up tortillas, tightening as you go.
Marja's Tip: serve leftover veal with rice or noodles in a Thermos for lunches, or as sandwiches.
Note: the roast will also be excellent cooked in a slow cooker for 8 hours on low heat.
Recipe from Marja Monette – La parfaite maman imparfaite.