“Touski” Hearty Veal Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 500 g (1 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil or butter
- 4 litres (16 cups) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) veal stock concentrate, in paste form
- 1 can (796 ml) chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetables of choice, diced (carrots, celery, onions, broccoli, green peas, etc.)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pearl couscous
- 1 can (540 ml) red kidney beans or other pulses of choice, rinsed and drained
- Season the cubed veal with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter on high.
- Once the butter stops sizzling or oil begins to separate, sear meat on all sides.
- Remove the veal and set aside.
- Discard the surplus of oil or butter.
- Add the water to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Return the meat to the saucepan and add the veal stock. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Skim the broth throughout the duration of the cooking process.
- When the veal is tender, add the vegetables, the couscous and the beans. Let simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich.