Classic Osso Buco of Quebec Veal
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 4 (approx. 1 kg/2 lb) Quebec Veal shanks
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried thyme
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried oregano
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, coined
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) prepared concentrated veal stock or beef bouillon
- 1 can (398 ml/14 oz) tomato sauce
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fennel seeds
- 2 Italian tomatoes, diced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Zest of one lemon and one orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow dish, mix flour, thyme and oregano. Gently pat veal shanks dry with a paper towel. Dredge shanks in seasoned flour mixture and shake off any excess flour.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Brown veal shanks for 5 minutes or until golden on all sides. Add onion and carrots. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Add wine, veal stock or beef bouillon, tomato sauce and fennel seeds. Mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes, parsley, garlic, lemon and orange zest. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently.
- Serve with linguini and broccoli florets.