Veal Osso Buco with Potatoes and Olives
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- 4 Quebec Veal shank (osso buco)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tps) cumin
- 5 ml (1 tps) paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped fresh coriander
- 5 potatoes, quartered
- 300 ml (approximately 1 1/4 cups) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into strips
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Sear veal shanks on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic and spices. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Stir in water and coriander. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, olives and preserved lemon. Extend cooking time by 30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.