Grilled Veal Hanger Steak with Shallots
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 pieces of Quebec Veal hanger steak, approximately 120 g (4 oz) each
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Montreal steak spice
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- In a shallow dish, mix all the marinade ingredients. Place the veal hanger steak pieces in the marinade and marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Sear all sides of the veal.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove meat from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Serve the grain-fed veal hanger steak pieces with a salad and fries.