Veal Tajine with Green Peas and Artichoke Hearts
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 800 g (approximately 1 3/4 lb) Quebec Veal shoulder roast, cut into cubes
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground ginger
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 liter (4 cups) water
- 650 g (approximately 1 1/2 lb) fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 5 coriander stems, tied
- 8 artichoke hearts, fresh or frozen, halved
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Sear veal cubes on all sides.
- Add onions, garlic and spices. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Stir in water, peas, tomato and coriander. Reduce heat to medium, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add artichoke hearts. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 30 minutes.