Veal Rib Roast in Apple Wort
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 Quebec Veal rib roast (6 ribs)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter in sufficient quantity
- 1 sliced onion
- 250 ml (1 cup) mirepoix (carrots, celery and onions)
- 500 ml (2 cups) apple wort
- 100 g (1/3 cup) butter
- 100 g (1/3 cup) white sugar
- 2 baking apples peeled, cored and cut in 6 pieces
- 500 ml (2 cups) demi-glace sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) white roux, if necessary
- Trim and season veal roast.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and brown veal rib roast. Remove from frying pan, place on a dripping pan on a layer of onions and cook in oven at 160°C (325°F) until inside temperature reaches 66°C (150°F).
- Meanwhile, in the same frying pan, lightly brown the mirepoix and deglaze with apple wort.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, strain through a cheese cloth and continue to reduce until sauce is like clear syrup. Set aside.
- In another frying pan, at medium-high heat, slightly caramelize apple pieces in butter and sugar for approximately 2 minutes (apple pieces should remain slightly firm).
- Deglaze frying pan with syrup, add demi-glace sauce and simmer until desired consistency (if necessary, make sauce thicker with white roux).
- Remove meat from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Adjust sauce seasoning, slice veal roast in between the ribs and serve with a mix of wild rice and apple pieces to decorate.