Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 56 minutes (+ 30 minutes at meal time)
- 908 g (2 lb) Quebec Veal roast cut in cubes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 16 pearl onions, peeled (not marinated)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tray of mushrooms, 227 g, sliced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme
- 4 phyllo dough sheets cut in half
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a saucepan, heat oil on medium. Brown the veal cubes for 2 to 3 minutes on all sides.
- Add the pearl onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir. Pour the beef broth. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low for 30 to 35 minutes, until meat is tender.
- Add the herbs to the saucepan and stir.
- Transfer the veal preparation into a 20 cm (8 inch) round baking dish.
- Brush the phyllo dough sheets with melted butter, then lightly crumple and place on the veal preparation to cover the whole surface.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the refrigerator. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, then with a sheet of aluminum foil. Place in the freezer.
- The day before the meal, let the pie defrost in the refrigerator.
- At meal time, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Remove the aluminum foil and plastic wrap from the dish. Put the foil on the dish. Reheat in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.