Veal Osso Buco with Mushrooms and White Wine
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 19 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
- 4 Quebec Veal shanks, 5 cm (2 in.) thick
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 can (227 g) mushrooms thinly sliced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 500 ml (2 cups) veal stock
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 carrots cut lengthwise
- 12 to 15 baby potatoes
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 laurel leaf
- In a deep plate, place the flour. Add salt and pepper.
- Cover the Veal shanks with flour.
- In a large frying pan, melt 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter on medium. Brown the shanks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place in the slow cooker.
- In the same frying pan, melt the remaining butter on medium. Cook the mushrooms for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the white wine and simmer until almost complete evaporation of the liquid.
- Place the mushrooms in the slow cooker. Add the veal stock, onion, carrots, potatoes, thyme and laurel.
- Cover and simmer for 7 to 8 hours, until the veal shanks break away easily with a fork.
- Remove the shanks and vegetables from the slow cooker and place in a cooking dish. Keep in the oven at 90°C (200°F).
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Serve the veal shanks and vegetables with the sauce.
Photo credit: Pratico-Pratiques