Veal Osso Buco en papillote
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
- 4 to 6 Quebec Veal shanks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) Prepared Concentrated Veal Stock
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) demi-glace sauce
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) lively, fruit-flavoured white wine
- 10 ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 25 ml (1/8 cup) tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut two sheets of tinfoil large enough to close well over the shanks.
- Place the vegetables on the tinfoil, arrange the veal shanks on the bed of vegetables and partially close the foil packet.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients with the tomato paste, season with salt and pepper to taste and pour over the shanks. Seal the wrapping and put on the top grill of your barbecue (BBQ).
- Do not turn the packet during cooking as the liquid protects the bottom of the shanks.
- Cook at 200°F (95°C) for about 3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 to 165°F (71 to 74°C), depending on the thickness of the shanks.
- Remove the packet from the barbecue (BBQ) and let rest 10 minutes to allow the juices to spread evenly.