Veal Meatloaf with Wheat Germ
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 500 g (1 lb) ground Quebec Veal
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dry green pepper
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) celery, finely chopped
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) grated carrots
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) green onion, finely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) wheat germ
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 325 ml (1 1/4 cup) carrots cut in wedges, 1/4 in. thick
- 1 gousse d’ail entière
- 325 ml (1 1/4 cup) celery, cut in wedges, 1/4 in. thick
- 325 ml (1 1/4 cup) onions cut in 1/2 in. cubes
- 796 ml (28 oz) diced tomatoes without added salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- In a bowl, mix the ground veal, salt, green pepper and celery and then knead it well. Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Shape the meatloaf and insert it in a small loaf pan. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prepare the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- To prepare the jardinière sauce, sautee the carrots and garlic in oil in an enamelled cast iron saucepan until they start to change colour.
- Then add the celery and onions and cook a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat, simmer uncovered to absorb the excess liquid, and then cover and simmer again to thicken the sauce. The cooking time will be about one hour for vegetables al dente (crunchy). Remove the garlic before serving.
- In the meantime, cook the meatloaf in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 79°C (174°F). Calculate approximately 30 minutes per inch of thickness.
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking, cover the meatloaf lightly with the tomato pieces from the jardinière sauce and return to the oven.
- Unmould and slice the meat loaf.
- Place the meatloaf slices with jardinière sauce in plates. Serve with a green salad.