Veal Gratin and Creamy Potatoes
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 900 g (2 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) demi-glace sauce
- 4 peeled potatoes
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) cooking cream 15%
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) grated Swiss cheese
- 1 chopped onion
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Salt and pepper the veal cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat a little olive oil on medium. Brown a few veal cubes at a time for 4 to 5 minutes on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add demi-glace sauce and veal cubes into the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer the veal preparation into a baking dish.
- Using a mandolin, cut the potatoes into thin slices.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes with the cream. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the potato mixture over the veal cubes. Garnish with cheese. Cover the dish with aluminium foil. Cook in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes, until veal cubes are tender.
- Remove the aluminium foil of the dish, set the oven at broil and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is golden.
Photo credit: Pratico-Pratiques