Flaky Veal with Spinach
- 225 g (1/2 lb) ground Quebec Veal
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) spinach dip
- 6 sheets of phyllo pastry cut in half lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a frying pan, heat some olive oil on medium. Cook the ground veal for 4 to 5 minutes while separating with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the ground veal with the spinach dip.
- Fold each sheet of phyllo pastry in half lengthwise and fold again in two in order to obtain a long strip.
- At 2.5 cm (1 in.) from the end of each strip, place a small amount of veal stuffing. Fold one of the lower corners over the stuffing to form a triangle. Repeat the process by folding the triangle many times on itself to the end of the strip.
- Place the sheets on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips for obtaining nice phyllo sheets: to prevent the sheets from cracking, remove the pastry from the fridge at the very last minute and proceed quickly to prevent the pastry from drying. Other tip: place a humid cloth on the pastry to ensure it remains humid during preparation.
Photo credit: Pratico-Pratiques