Comforting Veal Stew
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 500 g (1 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 1 L (4 cups) water
- 10 ml (2 tsp) concentrated veal stock
- 1 L (4 cups) diced vegetables of your choice
- 60 g (1/2 jar) concentrated demi-glace sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cooking cream 35 %
- 1 pinch Cajun spices
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 small Kaiser buns
- Olive oil
- Cajun spices
- Dry basil
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add veal stock and mix with a whisk.
- Add the veal cubes, lower heat and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove foam throughout cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bread bowls.
- Add the vegetables to the broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the cubes and vegetables in a sieve and set aside.
- Bring the broth back to a boil, add the concentrated demi-glace sauce and mix with a whisk.
- Add cream, heat for a few seconds, season and stir with a whisk.
- Add the reserved cubes and vegetables to the sauce and heat for a few minutes.
- Serve in the bread bowls.
- Preheat oven to 120°C (250°F).
- Cut off the top of the bun and set aside.
- With a knife, cut a circle inside the bun, making sure to leave 1 cm (1/2 inch) of bread within the bun.
- With a tablespoon, remove the inside of the bun to form a bowl.
- Baste the bowls and the lids with a mixture of olive oil, Cajun spices and dry basil.
- Place bread bowls and lids on a cookie sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes to dry the bread slightly.
* You can keep the insides of the buns, let them dry up and use later as breadcrumb in another recipe.