- Cut 8 deep slits in the meat and insert a quarter-clove of garlic in each slit. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat.
- Brown the roast for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the onion, thyme sprig and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours or until the meat breaks apart with a fork. Remove the thyme and the onion. Break the meat into large chunks.
- Add the paprika, tomato paste and crushed garlic to the pot. Stir to combine. Add the carrots, cabbage, green beans, white beans and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked. Add the thyme leaves and salt and pepper to taste.
Cassoulet "Lite" with Veal
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) Quebec Veal blade roast,
boned (1 kg / 2.2 lb before boning)
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and stuck with 4 whole cloves
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme
- 1 L (4 cups) chicken broth reduced sodium
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 green cabbage, in thick strips
- 500 ml (2 cups) green beans, trimmed
- 1 can (540 ml / 19 oz) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Accompaniment: serve with spinach salad and whole wheat bread.