Braised Veal Blade roast, Mashed Nantes Carrots
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) of Quebec Veal blade roast
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) crushed chili
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) crushed coriander seeds
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mustard seeds
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse salt
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) onion powder
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) crushed black pepper
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) ketchup
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) cider vinegar plus a bit for finishing
- 1 liter (4 cups) of Nantes carrots plus one for finishing
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 65 mL (1/4 cup) finely sliced fennel and some leaves
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cider vinegar
- Salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine chili, coriander, mustard, coarse salt, onion powder, cracked pepper, brown sugar, tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Coat the veal roast with this mixture, then place in a roasting pan. Add 250 ml (1 cup) water, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Remove foil, then cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender and breaks away easily from the bones. Set aside.
- Cut carrots (except one) into large pieces and cook in salted boiling water until tender. Drain, crush with a fork, add butter and season. Keep warm.
- Slice the remaining carrot finely with a mandolin, place in a bowl with the slices of fennel, sprinkle with vinegar, add salt and stir.
- Serve the blade roast with mashed carrots and decorate with slices of vegetables and some fennel leaves.