Asian-Style Veal Blade Roast
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 1 kg (about 2 1/4 lb) Quebec Veal blade roast with the bone
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sesame oil (not grilled)
- 150 g (1/3 lb) rice vermicelli
- 1 onion, sliced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 12 snow peas cut in fine strips
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) chicken broth, no salt added
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) roasted peanuts
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh coriander, chopped
For the sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth, no salt added
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) thick teriyaki sauce
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) ginger, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, chopped
- 3 lemongrass stalks cut in half lengthwise
- 1 thai chili pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- In a cast iron dish or in a thick-bottomed pan, heat half of the sesame oil on medium. Brown the blade roast 1 minute on each side.
- Pour the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cover and continue baking for 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes, until the meat of the roast breaks off with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the dish and fray the flesh with a fork.
- Return the frayed meat to the dish and stir. Warm up for 1 minute. Remove the lemongrass stalks from the dish.
- Rehydrate the rice vermicelli as indicated in the package. Drain.
- In a pan, heat the remaining sesame oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, broccoli, pepper and snow peas for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and rice vermicelli to the pan. Stir. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Spread the vermicelli mixture on the plates. Garnish with the frayed veal and the sauce. Sprinkle with peanuts and coriander.