Apple and Fall Squash Veal Stew
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
- 600 g (approximately 1 1/3 lb) Quebec Veal cubes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 diced butternut squash
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) vegetable broth
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange sauce and ginger
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 carrots cut into slices (optional)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) orange zest (optional)
- 2 Gala apples peeled and cut into quarters
Slow cooker/crock pot
- Pat dry the veal cubes with a paper towel.
- In a frying pan, heat a small amount of olive oil on medium-high and brown cubes for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Add salt and pepper and stir. Transfer the meat into the slow cooker.
- Add the squash cubes, vegetable broth, orange sauce, onion and, if desired, carrots and orange zest into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 7 hours.
- Add the apple into the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook for an additional hour.